San Diego State University Humanties Discussion
- August 04, 2022/ Homework Tutors
1) Consider one of the poems or epigrams of Martial, Catullus, or Juvenal. What does it mean to you? Some might be serious, others comic, others vulgar — but all make some observation about society and human nature. Explain how your choice might still be relevant now as well.
2) Comment specifially on Juvenal’s lengthy Satire X, On a Long Life. In this meditation on growing old, the poet makes several key observations, moving from darkly comic to frankly tragic. Note at least three such details and explain what you think the author means. You’re welcome to make connections to your own experience with aging too, drawing on personal examples as before.
3) Consider the following points after viewing Federico’s Fellini Satyricon (1969), a very free adaptation of Titus Gaius Petronius’ Satyrica (c. 50 CE). To respond to your peers, either dispute or affirm someone else’s reading and compare it with your own.
- What scenes stand out for their acting or the impact of their particular plot (narrative) event? Consider their visual power, the soundtrack and dialogue, and/or any other aspect of Fellini’s directing techniques that may affect you. What impresses (or disappoints) you there? You must discuss at least 2 scenes, one from each half of the film (approximately).